Pages

Monday, May 30, 2011

Brief IN SCBWI Conference Post.

Hello!  Just realized I never posted about my experience at the Indiana SCBWI spring conference.  Hats off to Kristi Valiant, a wonderful illustrator and talented event organizer!  This conference felt more smooth and professional than one I had previously attended.

The Writer's Intensive was an awesome experience.  I got encouraging and enlightening comments from an agent I've been following since I started working on this thing (I got to ask her in person about show vs. tell - awesome)! And she laughed out loud 3 times during my reading.  THREE TIMES.  Yes, I counted and wrote it in my notebook.  These are the things that get you through the gray days.  Great feedback from the editor, as well, who said she would keep reading, and whose advice I'm going to take about making my protagonist a couple years younger.

My critique partner and I did decide, though, that perhaps the regular conference sessions just aren't for us anymore.  It's so great to get your feet wet and learn how the industry works.  But now that I've learned enough about the process to hopefully avoid any horrendous mistakes as I begin, it's time to get back to - oh, yeah! - the writing.  If I spend money on another conference, it will be something craft-oriented alongside experienced writers like my talented critique group.  Suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment