Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

Gounding the Creative Life.

As much energy and good vibes as creative activities can provide, they can also overwhelm.  
gorgeous polariod, $2,200 by Frances Melhop

Yes, I am really happy that I get to play a part in a musical.  But when I'm not careful, I burden myself with worries based on the idea that since this is a dream come true, everything related to it is also extremely important.  Every related fear - Will my costume make me look fat?  How will I ever hit that one note at the end of that one song on that certain vowel in a remotely pretty way?  Please tell me I don't have to cry onstage. - seems a huge, IMPORTANT fear, requiring rumination, and action, and exploration, and PANIC.
But in the big scheme of things?  This show is a really small part of my whole life.  We're talking 3 months tops for this show, and I've already lived 336 months.
gorgeous polariod, $2,200 by Frances Melhop
Unless you're Cory or my mum, you don't know that I ended up making more than one 2011 goal after all.  The second goal is to be more centered.  You know; calm the hell down.  I LOVE this goal.  It's like an anti-goal - the goal to curb goal-setting madness.  Yes, it's really cool that I've met a goal, that I get to do something I've always wanted to do this year!  But it's hardly worth anything if I don't enjoy the process itself! 
I went into my audition focusing on enjoying the process and not worrying about the results, just hoping for the best, hoping for a part in the chorus.  I ended up really having fun, and I even wound up with a part!  This is definitely the way to go.  What do you do to keep perspective and deal with the stress of success?

No comments:

Post a Comment